Northwest Rotary Club, Interact Club Tailgate Rummage Sale

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ashlee Burns, Managing Editor

Northwest Rotary Club and Interact club came together Saturday, October 8, to form a new tradition: an annual tailgate rummage sale. The event took place in the high school parking lot, and served as a fundraiser for the clubs. The money raised will provide scholarships for graduating seniors of Calallen and Robstown.

“We did this for two reasons: to raise funds for additional scholarships, specifically in Robstown and Calallen, and to clean house because we know people want to make money and clean their houses,” Northwest Rotary Club President Julian Lopez said.

The Northwest Rotary club is very involved in community service, and, according to Lopez, gives out at least $12,000 in scholarships a year.

“This is just another way to add to that,” Lopez said. “It turned out better than expected. We thought we’d maybe get $500-$600, but we’ve done twice as good as we thought.”

The Interact Club also did it’s part at the event, helping and greeting people and tidying up the area.

“It’s just like a garage sale, but it’s a sale you’re having with a whole bunch of people,” senior Interact Club member Alexia Martinez said. “It’s good to come together and help out the community. It’s a lot of fun, I love helping people.”

The Northwest Rotary Club will be holding another big event, their 12th Annual Fish Fry, Friday, March 31, 2017, at the VFW Post #3837 on 12030 Leopard St. The event will also provide scholarships for graduating seniors of Calallen and Robstown.

“Our next event is our main fundraiser,” Lopez said. “We give back through this event. There’s going to be a live band, and there’s going to be raffles and and it’s a fish fry, too.”

Tickets will be available at the event. Gold tickets are $50, and admit two people and qualify for the drawing. General Admission is $10 for adults, and children under 12 eat half-price.