Put to the Test

Students reflect on the STAAR test or lack thereof

Victoria Escobedo

Late March to early April marks a dreaded period for students and even staff as it means the beginning of week-long quarter three testing and End of Course exams. Months of studying and working has led up to this moment where knowledge will be put to the test, quite literally.
2020 ushered in an era that embraces technology. “Virtual” has now become a part of everyday communication and isn’t as strange as it might have seemed before. Students are virtual, assignments are virtual, and even tests are now virtual. But with great change comes great technicalities. The freshmen were slated to test for their English I EOC on Tuesday, April 6th, but due to technical difficulties, the server crashed all over the state of Texas and the students were spared a dreary day of squinty eyes and lengthy paragraphs.
Angelina Rivas was one of the freshmen intended to take the test. She says that she was worried about it.
“I’d rather not have to take it,” she admits, “I was very nervous and stressed but confident enough to say I passed… I didn’t even take it.”
The test was rescheduled for Tuesday, April 13th. However, the freshmen weren’t the only ones testing for their English EOC.
Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), the sophomores were able to take their English II EOC on Thursday, April 8th, without a hitch.
One student, Chloe Marroquin, reflects on the days leading up to the test and taking the test itself.
“I felt really anxious about the test,” she admits, “But I felt relieved after taking it because I found it pretty easy.”
Marroquin says that her plan of attack involved reading the essay prompt then going back to the paired passages to gain an idea for how to write the prompt and make it resonate. After finishing the paired passages, Marroquin went back to the prompt to see if she gained any ideas and if she didn’t, she would go back to the other passages.
“I tried not to worry myself,” she explains.
Marroquin confesses that she did feel a sense of worry that that the freshmen situation would repeat itself, but that she had “a strong feeling that it wouldn’t happen twice”.
“Also the worst thing that could happen is that we just have to take it again the next week,” she reasons.
Marroquin says she was more relieved than upset about the test server not crashing like it did a few days prior.
“I did not want to stay in the same room for hours again,” she explains.
Marroquin thinks she did pretty well on the test because she tried her best not to overthink and to take her time on it.
Because the English I EOC was rescheduled, this means that virtual students have to come up to the high school again in order to take it. For those said virtual students that are unsure about how they will be testing, emails have been sent out and they are free to contact their teachers at any time.