Calallen Community Comes Together to Support Fallen Officer

Regina Soliz, Staff Writer

There has been an outpouring of emotional and financial support from campus students and staff in the wake of a tragic car accident involving two Corpus Christi police officers. Officer Alan McCollum died from his injuries. Officer Michael Love was treated for his injuries and was later released from the hospital.
Students raised about $700, while the faculty donated approximately $300, for a $1,000 check that was presented to the families of the officers for their expenses related to the crash.
On Jan. 31 McCollum and Love were struck by a vehicle while conducting a traffic stop. In his free time in past years, Officer McCollum, an Army veteran, worked security on the Calallen High School campus and at high school football games. Police determined later that the driver of the vehicle that hit the officers was intoxicated.
“It’s a tragedy; it’s awful,” Assistant Principal Beverly Barker said. “Many people knew Officer Love and Officer McCollum.”
Interact Club sponsor Charlene Dietrich announced the following week that the club would host a fundraiser to help the families of the officers. For a $5 donation, students could wear sweatpants and teachers could wear jeans for three days.
“There were students that donated money that didn’t wear sweats,” Barker said. “It is a really nice thing because y’all don’t have to do that. It is voluntary.”