Cadets Come Out Victorious

Photo contributed by Cmdr. Joe Harmon

Calallen NJROTC cadets stand at attention for their military inspection on Feb. 19 at Tuloso-Midway High School.

Keifer Gunn and Emily Gonzales

NJROTC students just spent six months preparing for one day that was very important to them.
“It’s the Annual Military Inspection or AMI,” Cadet Lt. Sienna Frye said. “This is when we perform for the Area 10 manager (Commander Mike Hale) who looks over all the ROTC units in the Coastal Bend Area,” she said. “We also answer questions and perform drills to show that we are in this class to be serious about it.”
The inspection on Feb. 19 consisted of marching, military knowledge, proper uniform wear and military courtesies. A specialized instructor manager asked the cadets questions and graded them on their performances.
“I would say they did fairly well,” Frye said. “We had two award winners in the entire platoon.”
The cadets’ hard work paid off because two students earned Bravo Zulu awards. Cadet Petty Officer 3rd Class Katy Erben, a freshman, and Cadet Seaman Recruit Alexandra Serrano, a freshman, were the winners of the Bravo Zulu award.
“It felt really good,” Erben said. “I am proud of myself, and I wasn’t really expecting it.”
Every day these cadets went over the same material and procedures to develop the skills to sharpen their military knowledge and leadership skills.
“We practiced and went over everything we’ve learned over the year,” freshman Jared Chase said.