Officials Work to Rid School of Vaping

Vaping360.com

Vaping360.com

Aaron Sullivan and Jon Guardiola

Vaping in teen students has become a problem across the U.S. Many underage students keep getting caught often with vapes, including at this campus.
“As a school district, we are trying to let students know that vaping isn’t healthy,” Assistant Principal Beverly Barker said.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, there have been 2,758 hospitalizations for lung disease related to vaping in the U.S., and 64 deaths as of Feb. 4. Doctors said many of the cases are linked to Vitamin E acetate, an additive found in cannabis-containing vapes.
The school is really trying to crack down on vaping related incidents and the cannabis-containing vapes, so they have been getting more strict with their policies. School officials are also concerned about nicotine addiction in teens related to vaping.
“It’s all categorized under tobacco, so if a student gets caught with vapes, cigarettes or anything like that they get one day of ISS (in school suspension), and we take whatever they have and throw it away,” Barker said.
Even as schools get more strict with policies, students still seem to find a way to vape, so the school district has had some trouble keeping it out.
“The numbers are only rising in vaping-related deaths, so we try to rely on tips from students and try to get it out of our halls and out of the students’ hands,” Barker said.
Some students have their own opinions on the whole vaping concept.
“It is the most idiotic thing for a young human to do,” senior Kason Pesina-Knapp said. “They’re killing themselves slowly, and it is sad to see.”
Many students think vaping is bad for their health and don’t understand why students would even start vaping at such a young age.
“I don’t understand how people think it’s a good idea to even start vaping because you will just get addicted to nicotine,” senior McKayla Gonzalez said.