Livestock show to offer opportunity to win college money, awards

Calallen students will be showing animals, displaying crafts, vying for ribbons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Nathan Atkinson looks forward to winning more awards at the Nueces County Junior Livestock show. He will be showing a heifer and a pig at the competition. Events will be held Jan. 9-18 at the Richard M. Borchard Regional Fairgrounds in Robstown.

Junior Matthew Guajardo will be competing in the Nueces County Junior Livestock Show.

Young people around the county area are preparing for the 85th annual Nueces County Junior Livestock Show. They have had their animals for months and have been carefully taking care of them for this year’s show.

More than 1,400 youth participate in over 4,900 projects at NCJLS, which is at the Richard M. Borchard Regional Fairgrounds in Robstown. Young people hope to best their previous scores and just enjoy themselves in general.

“This year I’m looking to improve my heifer and my pig,” sophomore Nathan Atkinson said. “I’m hoping to improve from last year and win grand champion over last year’s champion reserve.”

Atkinson is in Calallen FFA and will be selling his pig when NCJLS is over.

Junior Keifer Gunn is doing several projects for the show, and is in Calallen FFA and has been participating in the livestock show for 10 years. He will be making desserts in the homemaking category, wood chimes with gun casings as chimes and a plaque. He is also competing in photography with pictures of a sunset, family, a waterfall and a river. In addition, he will be showing an animal. 

“I am showing pigs this year at the stock show,” Keifer Gunn said. “I am also making my mom’s favorite sheet cake recipe.”

Junior Matt Guajardo is in Annaville 4-H, and he participates in NCJLS because it is fun, cool, and chill, he said.

“I have been in the Livestock show since third grade,” Roberto Guajardo said. “This year, I am showing lambs and making a deer mount.”