Seventies band AC/DC still relevant to students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Listening to AC/DC makes junior Darren Quinones

Listening to AC/DC makes junior Darren Quinones "feel excited," he said.

Jake Million, Staff Writer

Alone in class, doing his work, junior Darren Quinones listens to one of his favorite classic rock bands, AC/DC.  Even during the ride home from school Quinones will hear the original tunes of AC/DC and many other classic rock bands such as, Rolling Stones, Def Leppard and Queen.

Classic rock band AC/DC has been around for 46 years.  The current lead singer of the band, Brian Johnson, replaced Bon Scott, who died of acute alcohol poisoning in 1980. In 2011 Johnson passed away. Axl Rose replaced Johnson in 2016.

There is some debate whether the original singer or the new singer sounds better.  Quinones’ outlook on the subject is somewhere in between the two.

“It depends on the song,” Quinones said.  “Some of the original sounds good and some of it didn’t. The same thing goes for the new singer.”

Quinones believes that AC/DC and most classic rock bands do not share a common musical sound.

“AC/DC doesn’t have anything in common with other bands,” Quinones said. “But, they do have originality.”

Junior Will Wright, was on his way home from school one day, and AC/DC came on the radio. From then on he continued to listen and enjoy their music.  

“One of the things I like most about the band is the fact that they are four guys still making original classic rock music,” Wright said.

Quinones says that AC/DC’s music and the general classic rock genre just makes him feel “good and excited.”

“You should listen to AC/DC and other classic rock bands,” Quinones said. “The classic rock genre is a great one to listen to.”