ROTC comes to campus

Back to Article
Back to Article

ROTC comes to campus

Cadet sophomore Lehua Madeira salutes Cadet freshman Hunter Roach on Oct. 9 during uniform inspection at Tuloso-Midway High School. Inspection will take place every Wednesday.

Sienna Frye

Sienna Frye

Sienna Frye

John Bendele, Editor-In-Chief

The hot sun went down on a 98-degree October day. All of the drills were done, including marching in format with the platoon and practicing alignment.    

This year marks the first time that students here joined with Tuloso-Midway High School to enroll in NJROTC, Navy Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps.  The program offers students lessons about getting a job, emphasized citizenship and leadership development in a military- based classroom, but NJROTC isn’t just a military focused class. They accept all students with various career interests.             . 

“I joined ROTC because I always wanted to join the military and learn how to be a good leader,” Senior Cadet Lt. Sienna Frye said.

Frye also serves as operations officer for Tuloso-Midway and Calallen ROTC as well as the platoon commander.

“Being in this class is like being a part of a family,” she said. “Overall I really recommend this class to anyone that needs a P.E. credit or wants to join the military.”

Lt. Cmdr Harmon, the senior navy science instructor, said he didn’t expect the program would be as successful or as popular with students in its first  year. 

“They seem to be enjoying it,” Harmon said. “This is kind of an experiment year because it’s so new. I know Calallen didn’t know what to expect, and we didn’t know what to expect either from the Calallen kids. We didn’t know what they were searching for or what they wanted, but as we got to know each other, it started to work out fantastically.”   

Cadet Kaleb Keyster, a sophomore, is one of the new cadets in NJROTC.

“Joining this program helps me and other students to get a head start later on our career path,” Keyster said.

Larissa Duke, the college and career counselor and the head teacher for NJROTC on our campus, said she is glad to see NJROTC has been successful for being its first year here and the number of students that have joined so far.   

“I’m very proud of the students and what they have been learning In NJROTC,” Duke said.