Alivia’s Final Goal

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alivia’s Final Goal

Kara Johnson & Aubree Roller, Reporters

When she made the first goal, junior Frieda Gelabert knew instantly that the goal was for Alivia. The second goal was tougher to score. Everyone was fighting for the ball, but when it came back to her, she kicked it in. During halftime, Frieda couldn’t hold back the tears, because she knew that Alivia had been there with her the whole time, watching over her as she scored twice.

“This was my first year playing soccer for a high school,” Gelabert said. “For tryouts, I asked Alivia if she had any extra cleats I could borrow, which she did and I never gave them back. After she had passed away, I was at her house one day with her mom. I asked her mom if she wanted me to return the cleats and her mom said that I could keep them. I decided to wear Alivia’s cleats for the game to honor her memory.”

On March 19, the girls soccer teams played at home against TM. The game was called the Yellow Ribbon Game. It was dedicated to Alivia Adair and TM student, Justin Franco, who both recently lost their lives.

“Not only was it was a night to celebrate [for winning], but a night to honor one of our fellow athletes,” coach Sarah Love said. “As the days went past, the players decided they wanted to do something to honor Alivia and the TM student who had both recently passed away. The girls decided to wear a yellow ribbon in their hair and asked that TM players do so as well. Everyone from both teams circled up and prayed together in the center of the field.”

The varsity soccer team honored Alivia that night by playing the first 12 minutes of the game one man down to represent Alivia and her jersey number, 12.

Although Adair was a senior on varsity and Gelabert was a junior on JV, the two girls had become good friends instantly.

“I was pretty close [with Alivia] considering the fact that I moved here this year,” Gelabert said. “Alivia and I became friends right away because we had several dual credit classes together.”

Alivia left a mark on countless lives before she passed. Her family and friends, like Frieda, miss her dearly.

“If I could talk to Alivia for 10 seconds, I would tell her how much I loved her and how much she impacted my life,” Gelabert said. “I would tell her how great of a person she was and that her music taste was so awesome. I would tell her how much I appreciate her and how much she meant to me. I just really, really miss her.”