Phlebotomy Students Give Their Blood And Tears

Senior+Jordan+Cavazos+pricks+sophomore+Nick+Benavidez+finger+to+practice+for+the+state+exam.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Jordan Cavazos pricks sophomore Nick Benavidez finger to practice for the state exam.

ClaraGrace Pavelka, Editor In Chief

Phlebotomy students will practice drawing blood from any CHS volunteer Wednesday, March 6. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old and have a valid ID. The blood testing will only take 10 minutes and they are only filling half a tube.

Any student that volunteers will receive a free sweat pant day on Friday, March 8th, and any teacher that volunteers will be put into a drawing for a 25 dollar gift card to Chili’s.

“We are practicing for the state test on March 19th,” senior Kimberly Guzman said. “All 7 of us must get 50 sticks before the 19th.”

If the students pass the state test, they will be a certified phlebotomist. The dual credit phlebotomy students are Nick Benavides, Jordan Cavazos, MacKenzie Eden, Pearl Sandoval, Kimberly Guzman, Meranda Hernandez and Sabrina Perez.

“As a student we practice on each other as well and that’s the worst part because no one likes being stuck with a needle,” Guzman said.

Guzman likes to draw blood but she says the hardest part is getting all mandatory 50 sticks done before the deadline of March 19th.

“I need to get my certification though, so I literally gave my blood and tears this semester in phlebotomy,” Guzman said.

Any student interested in volunteering needs to pick up and turn in a waiver from any phlebotomy student.