Peace Pole Comes To Calallen

Back to Article
Back to Article

Peace Pole Comes To Calallen

Interact Club members, along with Cameron Chisholm and members of the Rotary Club, reveal newly placed Peace Pole on CHS campus.

ClaraGrace Pavelka, Editor In Chief

On Friday, Feb. 8 the Interact Club revealed a peace pole outside between the A gym and ag building. To commemorate the event, Cameron Chisholm, the president of the International Peace and Security Institute, came to speak to the student body about the importance of resolving conflict and creating peace.

In 2012 he was named one of the top 99 under 33 most influential foreign policy professionals. He is a peace maker that has traveled all around the world spreading peace and joy.

“The guest speaker, Cameron Chisholm, brought the peace pole with him from Washington D.C.,” Interact Club President Gabby Rodriguez said.

The Interact Club at CHS has been highly committed to serving the community year after year under the direction of Club Sponsor Charlene Dietrich and Donna Weiss, Secretary of the Rotary Club of Corpus Christi Northwest.

“Because of their dedication, the CHS campus was selected to receive one of two peace poles in the Corpus Christi area. The second peace pole was placed on the TAMUCC campus,” Dietrich said.

The peace pole signifies unity in the community and it’s a symbol of spreading peace.

“My hope for the peace pole is that it encourages students to be kind and welcoming to new opportunities that come to Calallen,” Rodriguez said.