Political Disagreement Shuts Down Family’s Income

Back to Article
Back to Article

U.S. Army

U.S. Army

U.S. Army

ClaraGrace Pavelka, Editor In Chief

Beginning a few days before Christmas and continuing until Jan. 25, the U. S. government shut down due to a disagreement about funding Trump’s wall. The shutdown lasted a record 35 days and caused thousands of federal employees to not be payed even though they were forced to work. Multiple students at CHS, including seniors Mark Ibarra and Eric Robles, had to cut back on spending due to the shutdown.

“I was stressed because I new my dad wasn’t getting paid and I was worried about what was going to happen next,” Ibarra said.

Ibarra’s dad works for Homeland Security and he says he was fortunate to have only been affected for a week.

“My dad didn’t get paid for a week, so we just had to cut back on grocery spending by 100 dollars,” he said.

While Ibarra cut back on grocery spending, Eric Robles “went back to the basics.”

“We couldn’t eat out anymore,” Robles said. “And I qualified for Free and Reduced Lunch.”

Eric Robles’ mom, a Spanish Linguist for the F.B.I., was without pay during the months of December and January.

“She was looking forward to making my senior year grand by going all out with purchases,” Robles said. “But the shutdown put a halt on those plans.”

Unfortunately, this wasn’t the first shutdown Robles has experienced.

“In 2014, when I was in seventh grade, there was a 16 day shutdown under Obama that prevented me from paying the 75 dollar payment for the band field trip,” he said.

To survive the shutdowns, the Robles family had to pull money from their savings account and depend on only one income, that of Eric’s dad.

“My mom is the biggest source of income,” he said. “So we were losing are biggest source of money.”

From the shutdown, Eric has learned that “you have to start making financial arrangements and you have to start to consider how you’ll prepare for the future.”