Swim Team Splashes The Competition 

Five Members Advance to Region

Back to Article
Back to Article

Swim Team Splashes The Competition 

Freshman Erika Larson trains in the CHS pool for an upcoming swim meet. Regionals will be held Feb. 1 and 2.

Kendall McCall, John Bendele, Timothy Ingram , Reporters

After placing in the top six at district on Jan. 19, four swim team members, Kaylie Rempp, Erika Larson, Chyler Sanders, Avery Larson, will compete at region on Feb. 1 and 2.  

“District is very difficult, it’s not easy like I thought it was,” Erika Larson said. 

Larson competed in the 100 fly. During her swim, she didn’t think she was going to qualify.  

“I hadn’t swum that much since the beginning of the year, so I really tried to push myself and I made it by one place,” Larson said.  

The swim team has advanced and placed at region for the last three years. To prepare, members will be practicing and attending almost every meet. 

“[At practice] you try to speed your times up from what they originally were,” Erika Larson said. “I try and pick up my time by at least three or four seconds. My fastest time was my hundred fly which was 1.08 minutes and in my 500 free I got 6.08 minutes.” 

Junior Kaylie Rempp has swam for 11 years now, three of which has been with the school. At district, she placed fifth in the 400- and 500-meter swim and fourth in the relay.

“Swim started out as a thing to do in the summer to stay cool and a thing to do to hang out with my friends, but it has turned into my passion,” Rempp said.

Coach Heflin looks forward to competing at region tomorrow and Saturday.

“I’m excited because everyone could potentially be in the top eight,” Heflin said.