BPA Begins Comp. Season, Advances To State

The+BPA+club+will+leave+for+Dallas+on+March+6+and+return+March+9.+Members+who+place+in+the+top+2+or+4+at+state+will+advance+to+nationals+in+Anaheim%2C+California.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The BPA club will leave for Dallas on March 6 and return March 9. Members who place in the top 2 or 4 at state will advance to nationals in Anaheim, California.

Amber Ashworth and Kendall McCall, Reporters

Business Professionals of America (BPA) students and their two sponsors, Miss O’Brien and Mr. Roark, had their first competition last Saturday at TM High School where they competed in individual and group contests.

BPA focuses on preparing students for the professional and business world. The organization aims to develop academic, leadership and technological skills for students to use in the workplace.

Freshman Kara Johnson, Bailee Kinghorn and Rhylee Hooper rehearse their script before they compete in Global Marketing Team.

“This is my first year in BPA,” freshman Kara Johnson said. “I am on a global marketing team which is where me and three other girls put together a power point presentation for a make-believe business’ social mission project.”

There are many different opportunities for students to challenge themselves, such as presentation management team, interview skills and global marketing teams.

“I have been in BPA for four years; the past three years I have been doing presentation management team,” senior John O’Malley said. “It could be a challenge.”

Club President ClaraGrace Pavelka has been in BPA since freshman year and she also competes with O’Malley in Presentation Management Team.

“It’s just really fun having a team and sharing the memories with other people,” she said.

Students in the club get to network with other BPA members from around the region, state and nation.

“I love meeting new people,” Pavelka said. “I have two really good friends from BPA and I love how we travel.”

On Saturday, twelve students competed and ten advanced to the State Leadership Conference in Dallas, Texas.

Seniors J.R. Gonzalez and Chris Gomez talk while they wait for their events.

State Alternate

Alejandra Martinez—Medical Office Procedures—fifth place

Carson Radford—Extemporaneous Speech—fifth place

State Qualifiers

Alyssa Marines—Fundamental Accounting—first place

Colten Appleby—Fundamental of Web Design—first place

JR Maldonado—Fundamental Desktop Publishing—second place

Danielle Martinez—Advanced Interview Skills—second place

Presentation Management Team—second place

John O’Malley, Kassidy Ferguson and ClaraGrace Pavelka

Financial Analyst Team—first place

Chris Gomez, David Ross and Mark Ibarra

Global Marketing Team—first place

Bailee Kinghorn, Kara Johnson and Rylee Hooper