Calallen School Board Earns Districtwide Appreciation

Photo+of+CISD+School+Board+members%2C+courtesy+of+district+website.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo of CISD School Board members, courtesy of district website.

ClaraGrace Pavelka, Reporter

January marks School Board Appreciation Month and CISD is honored to have seven board members aiming to enhance the district.

“The school board members are currently working very hard to appropriate the money passed in our last bond,” Executive Assistant to the Superintendent Annie Swetish-Rivera said.

At last Monday’s meeting, the board approved the construction of a $17 million Calallen West Intermediate school and passed the first portion of the high school science wing which includes the foundation being laid.

“Many in the public do not realize the arduous process undertaken during the passage of a school bond,” Director of Operations Blair McDavid said. “From the initial phases of the district’s needs assessment to consulting with architects and engineers, the board has been thoroughly supportive and engaged. They have truly played a vital role in seeing many of the planned bond projects through to fruition. ”

Since the majority of the board members are tenured and have sat for four or more years, they also saw the completion of the previous bond which allowed CHS to build a swimming pool on campus.

“Completing the pool was a big sticking point and another thing I like is we have been able to have a balanced budget and give our teachers raises,” Board President Jason Floyd said.

He fully supports teachers who work for Calallen ISD, but knows that the most important part of his role as a board member is to support the district’s students. He wants CISD to offer a high-quality, rigorous and well-rounded education that will prepare students for success after high school.

“The youth is our future,” Floyd said.

Floyd graduated from CHS and his father served the Calallen community as a board member, so he has first-hand knowledge of how vital it is for adults to give their time and energy to help guide the next generation.

“The adults always donated their time to the community when I was going through school and I always respected that,” he said.

Calallen ISD greatly benefits from having a school board whose members come from diverse backgrounds. The diversity allows each member of the board to bring something different to the table and work well together.

“I have agriculture background,” Floyd said. “We have Dr. Carr – she’s a physician, Lori Jo Walker – they have several different businesses, Allen Libbe – he has CCRV, Royce Cameron – he knows construction backwards and forwards, Bill Kelly – he has the attorney’s office, and Heather Luckenbach – she is in healthcare administration.”

The commitment to our district put forth by our board members is noticed and appreciated by all.

“They are very supportive and involved,” CHS Assistant Principal Beverly Barker said. “Most of them have kids on our campuses and it is evident that they care about the progress of our academics and extracurriculars.”