Seniors Enter Their Last Semester

2019+Senior+Class+Photo%2C+courtesy+of+Herndon+Panoramics.+

2019 Senior Class Photo, courtesy of Herndon Panoramics.

ClaraGrace Pavelka, Editor In Chief

As the school bell rings, signaling the end of another school day, seniors know they are one day closer to graduation.

“It feels good and I feel relieved because we are closer to the end of high school,” Montgomery Mathisen said.

Mathisen’s goal for his last year is to get all A’s in his classes while other students, like Leandra Estrella, are just trying to beat senoritis.

“I am just trying to survive the school day and stay awake during my classes,” she said.

Even though some seniors are battling senoritis, they say their last year has been the easiest.

“I don’t stress as much because by now we are used to the work load and can manage our time better,” Celisa Cabrialez said.

John O’Malley agrees with Cabrialez.

“I thought it would be harder but it turned out to be easier, a lot easier than I was expecting,” O’Malley said. “I thought there would be more work and stress, but its not that bad.”

O’Malley has enjoyed high school, so he is sad to see the end.

“I am just trying to enjoy the last bit of high school,” O’Malley said. “I will miss Calallen TV the most because we have had a lot of fun.”

O’Malley says that high school has helped narrow down his career options.

“I have figured out what I wanted to do; what I liked more and what I don’t like,” he said. “I plan to study marketing at UNT or UT or maybe somewhere else.”

Similar to John, Mathisen also has plans for after high school.

“I plan to stay here [Del Mar] for basics and then go to Waco to TSTC, Texas State Technical College, which is an electrical college,” Mathisen said. “I want to go into electrical instrumentation.”

With post-high-school plans made, some seniors are heading into their last semester relaxed because they know it is the end game.

“It’s crazy and sad because we are not going to come back,” John O’Malley said. “We are about to be done. This is the last of everything. I just have to keep going though. I can’t stop.”