Shattered Dreams Program Shows Consequences of Drinking & Driving

Students Experience Scary Realty of Mock Drunk Driving Accident

Senior+Savannah+Ramos+screams+because+she+sees+is+frightened+by+the+crash.+When+students+walked+outside%2C+speakers+projected+Ramos+voice.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Savannah Ramos screams because she sees is frightened by the crash. When students walked outside, speakers projected Ramos voice.

ClaraGrace Pavelka, Reporter

Senior Savannah Ramos had blood dripping from her forehead while she sat in the passenger seat of a small car. She and 23 other students reenacted a fake car crash, hosted by Shattered Dreams, to show seniors and juniors the importance of not drinking while driving.

“When I walked outside to the accident, I immediately got the chills because the first thing I heard was screaming,” senior Hannah Young said.

The mock drunk driving car accident was located on Wildcat Drive on Wednesday Nov. 28. Policemen and paramedics were on site, reenacting their normal routines, and a halo flight landed to take away a student who needed urgent medical care.

Student “charged” with drunk driving walks away in hand cuffs.

“I had to remind myself that this accident wasn’t real and that everything was okay,” Young said. “They did a really good job on playing the part and making it seem like a real life accident.”

Although the car accident was a mock wreck, it was all too real for senior Kailyn O’Brien because her friend passed away in a car accident during their freshman year.

“It’s scary to relieve those moments,” she said. “I hope that people take this seriously and that it opened up their minds and realize what they’re doing that could affect other people.”

For senior Gabby Rodriguez, the car crash made her think about the effect drunk driving has on families.

“I thought about how terrible it must be for the families that have to go through accidents like that all because someone thought it would be okay to drive while intoxicated,” she said.

Karen Beard has organized the Shattered Dreams program since 1999 and this is the fourth time Calallen High School has hosted it.

“It’s stressful but it’s fun,” Beard said. “It’s fun seeing the kids’ reactions.”

Students react to the car crash.

After the wreck, the 23 students involved stayed the night at Calallen Baptist Church and all phones were taken from students to give their friends and family a hint of what it would be like to actually lose their loved one.

“On day one kids will laugh when they look at the crash, but day two they are not laughing anymore,” Beard said.  

The entire student body gathered in the A Gym to experience the funeral of the deceased where the parents of the “dead” students gave their eulogies.

“To me it was unnerving to watch parents give eulogies of students we had just seen the day before,” Rodriguez said.

Beard hopes the accident and funeral has an impact on the students and teaches them to not drink and drive.

“We have had kids come back and say they did the program a number of years ago and maybe it didn’t stop them from drinking when they were illegal age, but it certainly stopped them from driving,” Beard said. “I will take that. We just have to have it made an impact.”