Tooting Their Horns

Band Dominates At UIL Competition Winning All 1's For 18th Consecutive Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tooting Their Horns

ClaraGrace Pavelka, Editor In Chief

At the UIL Region XIV Marching Contest last Saturday, the Calallen Band swept away the competition, winning the Division Superior Rating title. This is the 18th consecutive year Calallen has achieved superior ratings.

“I was very proud of all of our hard work that we have been putting in since July,” Band President Megan Barrera said. “It went to show the underclassmen that hard work is always worth it in the end.”

Calallen hosted the band competition with more than 15 different high school bands in attendance. The band’s performance is called confined, and their music is from Mozart’s Requiem and the band Tears & Fears song “Mad World”.

“At such a competition we only compete against ourselves as we are put in a ranking order,” Barrera said. “One is the highest and five is the lowest.”

Barrera plays the Marimba in the front ensemble which is a subdivision of the drum line. The hardest part about performing is knowing that her section relies on her to be perfect.

“Sometimes it’s difficult but I have an amazing, supportive section who works hard and makes my job as a section leader easier,” Barrera said.

Barrera enjoys letting her passion for music out and enjoying every single second of the show. She has always loved music, but performing with the band makes her enjoy it even more.

“Within drum line we have formed a family bond and it truly makes my memories unforgettable,” she said.

The bands continued success is credited to their motto, “Be Your Best.”

“Our driving force is being better than ourselves and not other local schools, like King or Veterans Memorial,” Barrera said. “If we are achieving and being our best then that alone is a success within itself.”