The Wildcatter

• April 14 Baseball (9th) vs Alice, Here @ 10:00/12:30

• April 14 Baseball (jv) vs Alice, There @ 10:00/12:30

• April 13 Softball vs Ray, Cabaniss Field @ 5:30

• April 13 Baseball vs Alice, Here @ 7:00

• May 25th - Senior Walk (all day)

• May 16 - Senior awards 6 pm in the auditorium

Calallen Education Foundation Awards Grants to Teachers

Lamb accepting his grant with his advanced video production class.

ClaraGrace Pavelka, Managing Editor

To help classes and clubs buy new technology and improve students education, the Calallen Education Foundation (CEF) awarded three grants to high school teachers on Monday morning. The grants were given to physics teacher Laura Burkhart, Calallen T.V. production adviser Dale Lamb, and music teacher Nic Goodman.

Lamb will use his grant of $6,325 toward high-tech cameras that will enhance picture quality and connectivity. According to Lamb, the new camera will replace two current cameras and allow those cameras to go to “workflow for interviews and videos.”

“The quality of the cameras I am getting are incredible. Not just the quality, but the technology involved is also incredible,” he said. “All of the current cables cannot stretch far in length due to HTMI, which is what we have. If we have SDI, which is what we are getting, we can go hundreds of feet.”

The SDI cameras cost thousands of dollars which is where the grant money comes into play. With the new cameras, Lamb will have SDI, HDMI, and ethernet capability.

“With ethernet, the cameras can be thousands of feet away if I wanted,” Lamb said. “If I plug it into ethernet, I will be able to control both cameras using a remote. So one camera will act essentially as 27 cameras because I can preset the camera to automatically focus on certain people and it will zoom in and out.”

The cameras bought with the grant money will introduce students to modern audio/T.V. production technology that will be used in students future college and careers.

“The biggest technology is the NDI,” Lamb said. “With NDI, students can take the camera and hook it up anywhere in the high school by plugging it in to ethernet. Then my TriCaster can pull the video from ethernet using the school’s network.”

Besides that, Lamb is looking forward to the efficiency the camera will bring to the class room.

“I will not need a person to stand in the way or stand over the cables,” Lamb said. “One person will be able to control both cameras.”

Physics teacher, Mrs. Burkhart was also awarded $2,498 to buy a navigation system that connects to the TI-Nspire calculators. It is a wireless communication network that relays information from the individual calculators to the main monitor. With the new device, she will be able to send problems to students’ calculators and get instant feedback without wasting time.

“The new device will help me understand what kids are not understanding,” Burkhart said. “Then I can adjust the lesson to make sure that they are getting everything. It will help students learn and fully understand the topics.”

Burkhart is thankful for the community’s support in helping get supplies that will benefit her students.

“It just shows that people care because they have donated the time and money and resources,” Burkhart said. “It is a big deal because it means everybody wants us to be successful. It really feels amazing.”

In all, the CEF gave 15 grants to teachers across Calallen Independent School District totaling $43,671.