The Wildcatter

• Sept. JV-9th Football Open

• Sept. 21 Volleyball vs Martin, Here @6:00/6:00/5:00

• Sept. 20 Football Open

• Sept. 18 Volleyball vs Alice, There @5:00/5:00/6:00

Students Warned Against Sexting

ClaraGrace Pavelka, Managing Editor

With the click of a camera and a quick send, a girl or boy’s risque photos can be sent out on social media for anyone and everyone to see for the rest of their lives.

During intimate relationships, some couples are sending each other pictures of themselves expecting privacy between the two. But unfortunately, the pictures are sometimes leaked from the relationship. Boys will send their girlfriend’s nudes to a group message filled with other boys or the images will be uploaded to a social media page. According to nobullying.com, 24% of students admit to sending nudes one time in their life. CHS administration has dealt with such nude picture incidents for the past few years.

When a student sends nudes, they are liable to school and legal consequences. Sending inappropriate pictures to a significant other needs to stop to protect both students involved.

Students say that girls and boys send nudes to gain their peers’ acceptance. Girls desire their boyfriend’s approval, and guys want to gain their friends acceptance. Nobullying.com states that 12% of students send nude photos because they feel pressured. Students need to realize that only 2% of high school relationships last beyond graduation as reported by the Huffington Post. In reality, relationships will not last so students need to stop sending nudes to avoid all risks of possible legal consequences. Is being accepted by your friends worth being registered as a sex offender?

Students also need to realize that sending nudes are not worth the life-changing consequences. As soon as nude pictures are sent from one person to another it is considered distribution of pornography. When the inappropriate pictures are saved on a phone, that person could be charged with possession of pornography and they could be listed as a sex offender for the rest of their life. If the students involved are under 18, it is considered child pornography. According to Lt. Chuck Freeman, a CCPD officer who works off-duty at CHS, juveniles could face charges regardless of their age. Lastly, if the photo is transmitted across state lines, the case is classified as federal.

Once nude photos are brought to law enforcement’s attention, they confiscate the phones to investigate. Depending on the number of photographs and where they were transmitted, charges can be a class A misdemeanor, a felony, or the student could be registered on the sex offender list. Possession of three photos or transmitting just one photo could put a student in jail. The charges will stay on students records until they go to court and are found innocent.  As stated by Officer Freeman, the charges are inescapable. Even if the student who sends the photos chooses not to prosecute, the possessor is still liable for possessing pornography. Also, if the witness says they don’t want to cooperate, the police will still investigate the devices.

Simply stated, students are facing possible jail time for sending or possessing nudes. Why even take the risk? These are consequences that will follow students for the rest of their lives.

Students need to understand that once nudes are uploaded to a social media site, they can be seen world wide. Predators from around the world can capture the photos to save to their computers. Officer Freeman says that predators are especially looking for pictures of young adult females. They sell them for money to other predators and in the blink of an eye explicit pictures from a girl in Texas could be in Moscow. Officer Freeman says to get rid of the photos is close to impossible; it is like counting sand granules on the beach.

Students need to stop sending, taking and receiving nude pictures. If a student asks for nudes, simply say no. Doing so will save your reputation and the risk of having legal consequences haunt you for life.