The Wildcatter

• April 14 Baseball (9th) vs Alice, Here @ 10:00/12:30

• April 14 Baseball (jv) vs Alice, There @ 10:00/12:30

• April 13 Softball vs Ray, Cabaniss Field @ 5:30

• April 13 Baseball vs Alice, Here @ 7:00

• May 25th - Senior Walk (all day)

• May 16 - Senior awards 6 pm in the auditorium

FFA Quiz Team Stampedes to State

ClaraGrace Pavelka, Managing Editor

From left to right Rebecca Plageans, Kailyn O'brien, Taylor O'brien, Alexia Romero, Ashley Richardson, Phillip Del Maro, Emily Mclendon

Brent Beverly, Alexia Romero, Blake Stanley, and Max Vasquez participated in the Area FFA contest on Nov. 18. The team competed in the event FFA Quiz. The students were tested on their knowledge of general and minuscule details about the FFA organization. Out of 112 schools, the CHS quiz team placed 2nd in region. The students are now heading to FFA Sate this Saturday.

The Calallen FFA has always had a quiz team, but it has been years since the senior team has gone to state.

“We are very excited that we have achieved this goal and are ready to do our best in the state contest on Saturday,” Max Vasquez said.

The quiz tests the participants on five parts including the Official FFA Manual, Parliamentary Procedure Guide, Texas FFA Leadership Guide, Texas Farm Facts, and Ag. Issues in our state and around the country. Needless to say, the team worked like a draft-horse to gallop on to state.

For Alexia Romero, placing second at region required daily practice.

“Honestly, I studied five class periods out of everyday. Every time we would not be doing work, I studied. When I had my Ag. class, I studied. I studied in the morning, after school and during lunch,” Romero said.

Similary, Max Vasquez put a lot of his time in preparing for the test.

“We of course have our scheduled team practices before school, but we also study in and out of class whenever we get the chance,” Vasquez said. “It can feel like a lot at times but in order to be successful as we have been, it is definitely a necessity.”

Although the members are a team, they are not allowed to work together on the test. Instead, each member takes the test, then the scores are totaled together for an accumulative score, so it is important for each member to study and perform their best on test day.

“They say the team is only as strong as their weakest link and that is definitely true in our contest. When everyone gives it their all and tries their best the team becomes much more successful,” Vasquez said.

The competitors were allowed to see their scores, so Alexia studied in her weak areas to improve her chances of wining at state.

“I looked at my scores and I didn’t do as great as I wanted to, so I was like okay I am going to study even more,” Romero said.

The other team members, Max Vasquez, Brent Beverly, and Blake Stanley are seniors, and this is their last opportunity to advance to state.

“We all have been studying for weeks preparing for contest and when we qualified for state, we really felt like our work paid off,” Max Vasquez said.

Although this quiz is one of the harder competitions, the students enjoy the experience. For Max Vasquez, FFA has always had a big impact on his life, so putting forth the work to study and qualify for state was fun.

“All the information gives you a much greater appreciation for our farmers and ranchers and the FFA,” Vasquez said. “Working hard for an FFA event isn’t a hassle. I fall in love with the FFA even more every time I begin something new or get involved in a new event.”