Blood Drive to be Held

Back to Article
Back to Article

Blood Drive to be Held

Miranda Tripp gives blood at a previous blood drive.

Ashlee Burns, Managing Editor

The Coastal Bend Blood Center will be holding a blood drive Tuesday, May 2nd from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Students 17 and older are encouraged to donate, and all donors will be entered in a drawing for a chance to win an iPad.

During summer months when accidents are increasingly more common, blood banks need more of every blood type to be able to supply in case of emergencies, according to nurse Kimberly Smith. For every unit of blood collected, 3 lives can be saved.

“It’s important for people to donate because they have to have enough in the blood bank to be readily available,” Smith said.

Seniors who donate 3 times, or have 5 people donate in their name, will earn a red cord for graduation. Students don’t have to donate only at school blood drives to earn their cords.

“In the summertime, if you’re a junior and the school year just ended, you can start donating [at the Coastal Bend Blood Center] then and start earning your red cord,” Smith said. “But you can’t start earning that cord before you’re a senior.”

Giving blood is important to providing services to the 20 medical facilities in the Coastal Bend Blood Center’s service area of Aransas, Bee, Brooks, Duval, Jim Wells, Kleberg, Live Oak, Nueces, Refugio and San Patricio.

“We try to hold five or six blood drives per school year,” Smith said. “Donating is a good way to give back to your community.”