Baseball Coach Inducted into Hall of Fame

Ashlee Burns, Managing Editor

For 37 years, Steve Chapman has coached baseball, and 34 of those years have been here at Calallen. Now after 20 playoff games, 12 state tournaments, three state championships, and a grand total of 967 won baseball games, Chapman has earned his induction into the Texas High School Baseball Association Hall of Fame.

The induction took place at the 46th annual Texas High school Baseball Coaches Association Convention at the Waco Convention Center. The event was an awesome experience and a great honor, according to Chapman.

“Thirty three years ago I had no idea that I would be inducted to this group but am very proud to be a part of a group of men who have been people that I have gotten to know and become friends with,” Chapman said.

One thing is for sure, Chapman’s true dedication and passion for sports and coaching led him to this achievement.

“My whole life I had been doing sports and was lucky enough to get to play college baseball. When I realized that I was not going to be a professional athlete, I decided the best way to stay a part of the sports I grew up loving was to be a coach,” Chapman said. “I love watching kids grow and improve as individuals and also as a team.”

According to Chapman, Calallen is a great community and we can continue to count on him to coach our team with dedication.

“[It’s] a great place to raise a family,” Chapman said. “With the academic and athletic program we have, I would not want to be anywhere else.”