A Reading Wonderland for Art Club

Art+club+members+work+together+to+create+a+brain+decoration+for+the+club%27s+Christmas+tree.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A Reading Wonderland for Art Club

Art club members work together to create a brain decoration for the club's Christmas tree.

Ashlee Burns

Ashlee Burns

Ashlee Burns

Ashlee Burns, Managing Editor

Art club is working on it’s A Reading Wonderland Christmas tree for the 7th annual tree decorating contest held by the Junior League of Corpus Christi, H-E-B, and the Art Museum of South Texas. The club’s theme for the tree is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle, a story of a high school girl on an adventure with her brother and friend to rescue her scientist father, who is being held a prisoner on another planet.

The decorating contest gives not only students, but teachers and families, the opportunity to promote literature, critical thinking, and creativity. The trees will be decorated at The Art Museum of South Texas from November 14 to November 18, using only student-made decorations. Following the competition, all of the decorated trees will be donated throughout the community.

“The trees are eventually donated to families in need at the end of the competition, and one of the art club’s main goals is community service in an artistic way,” Art teacher Joseph Sandoval said. “I try to find projects and things we can do in the community to better it.”

The art club has already begun planning their tree, which revolves around the theme of the novel A Wrinkle in Time.

“In the novel, there’s this thing called the brain and it’s literally brain that controls everything, including the other planets in the universe,” Sandoval said. “The different planets each have different themes, and that’s really what we’re going off of for the decorations for the tree.”

The contest will have a free family day December 10 from 10 am to 2 pm. Families will be able to walk around the museum and vote for their favorite trees decorated by the contest participants.  Voting will take place from November 19 to December 11.