The student news site of Calallen High School

The Wildcatter

• June 7-10 Baseball State Tournament, TBA

• June 3 Baseball Regional Playoff- Deadline

• May 27 Baseball Regional Semi-Final

• May 20 Baseball Regional Quarterfinals- Deadline

Hula-Hoop is More Than an Exercise Prop

Lexi Montes

ClaraGrace Pavelka, Writer

The hula-hoop is commonly remembered from elementary P.E. class or seen in a middle-aged woman’s workout class, but Lexi Montes, a junior, is changing the way people see the beloved hula-hoop by performing impressive tricks and routines around downtown Corpus Christi.

Montes’ interest for hooping originates from her friend who hula hoops in festivals and around town. Montes began her hula-hooping journey in December of 2015. She started with off-body tricks to stay motivated.

“It’s really fun and uplifting. It is my meditation, and it makes me feel beautiful because of the flow. It is also different which is what I like,” Montes said.

Currently, Lexi is working on making up new tricks and transitions to create a better flow.

“I practice every day. It makes me feel confident because I have a talent,” Montes said.

Hula-hooping appears to be an easy talent, and it is natural for some hoopers; however, Lexi can attest that it is harder than it appears.

“At first, I couldn’t keep it around my waist. It took me three months. I got discouraged because some people could naturally hula-hoop, but I couldn’t,” Montes said.

Montes currently lights up the night sky and enlivens downtown Corpus with her LED, purple and green hula-hoop performances.

“I perform at concrete street, depending on the concert, and around downtown Corpus Christi,” Montes said.

When questioned about her dream place to perform, she remarked that she would love to hoop on Hollywood Walk of Fame.

“There are a lot of tourists and I could introduce it to others that don’t know about it,” Montes said.

Montes hopes to start a hooping group where she can teach people of all ages routines.

“I have had thoughts of doing a hoop workshop to teach other kids,” Montes said. “I would also like to get together a group of girl performers and to go out and perform together.”

Next on Montes’ list is to get fire wicks for her hoop.

“Then I could become a fire performer. It is the same as hula-hooping you just need a licensed and designated area to perform,” Montes said. “ I am not scared of it; I just need to continue to practice without it.”

It is safe to say that Lexi is more skilled than the elementary kid in P.E., and the workout instructor.

“I wouldn’t say [I’m] better, but I definitely encourage everyone to hula-hoop,” Montes said.

Lexi will be hooping at the upcoming Five Finger Death Punch concert. Those familiar to Five Finger Death Punch will agree with Lexi when she says, “It’s going to be crazy!”