The student news site of Calallen High School

The Wildcatter

• June 7-10 Baseball State Tournament, TBA

• June 3 Baseball Regional Playoff- Deadline

• May 27 Baseball Regional Semi-Final

• May 20 Baseball Regional Quarterfinals- Deadline

Dual Credit Spanish Course Demands Heavier Work Load

ClaraGrace Pavelka, Staff Writer

Beginning this year, the Spanish dual credit program switched from Texas A&M Kingsville to Del Mar College. With the transfer of colleges arose new programs and extra work for students.

Every week after school, the Spanish dual credit students are expected to Skype their professors for 30 minutes. The time slots available begin at 4:30, and the last one ends at 8:00. Skyping is intended to help students practice Spanish with different people and various accents.

“The Skyping should help the students practice their vocabulary and grammar from the chapter,” Maria Muthwill, the Calallen Spanish teacher, said.

Each Skype session is worth 50 points, and the students are expected to complete two sessions after school each week. By completing both sessions, the student will receive a 100.

“If a student misses Skype, they will get a zero in the grade book,” Muthwill, said. “[Then] the student has to drive to Del Mar on Saturday either at 9, 10, or 12 to make up missed sessions.”

This is the first year students are using Skype with Del Mar. Previous Calallen students enrolled in the dual credit Spanish program were instructed by Texas A&M Kingsville professors.

“Overall, we are still learning,” Muthwill said. “At the end of the year we will see how it went. We have had rough patches, but it is okay.”

A lab session is a part of the curriculum of Del Mar college. The Del Mar students are expected to drive to the lab and complete their session in person. However, the dual credit students Skype so that they do not have to drive over to Del Mar after school.

“The Skyping is the dual credit students lab session” Muthwill said.

At the end of this year, the students will have 8 credits towards college. Previously, with Texas A&M Kingsville, the students only received 6 credits.

Swamped with extracurricular activities, homework, and a full day of school, some students would prefer a different method other than Skyping.

“I am busy with 4-H, school, tennis, church and piano lessons, so I have to go on Saturdays to Del Mar” Brianna Villareal, a sophomore, said. “It’s helped me word phrases better, but gets in the way with other activities. I would prefer another way to get the lab credit besides Skype or the lab. It is a burden.”

Although Skype is only thirty minutes, it is hard to Skype and still get a full night’s rest. High school students get out at 4 p.m. each day, leaving little time to do extra activities compared to a college student’s schedule.

“It really gets in the way. After school, I have tennis practice then I go home and do my 30 minute Skype session. Then I go back for an hour tennis lesson in town. After that, I can start homework. On Skype days, I don’t go to bed until 12:00,” Halle Romero, a sophomore varsity tennis player, said.

The Skype component of the dual credit Spanish course is  improving CHS students’ Spanish skills; however, the benefit demands a greater time commitment from the students’ schedules.